Over the next few weeks, we will be doing a little segment of interviews with some of the athletes we have helped along the way that are freshmen this year and playing college football this fall season.
In our fifth installment we interview Derek Witte, who is currently at St Cloud State University, and is handling their starting kick off duties.
|Derek Witte SCSU Head Shot|
1. Name of your School: St.Cloud State University
2. What high school did you attend? Verona High School (Wisconsin)
3. The very first collegiate football practice, I felt… Both excited and nervous! Intimidated by the experience of all of the other guys, but also ready to get out and compete again! Especially at the college level which I had been shooting to play at for years!
4. Athletic Status (True Freshman or Redshirt): True Freshman
5. If not Red Shirted, have you had a chance to play in a game yet? Yes, I have handled all kickoffs
6. Biggest memory/moment so far your freshman year? Getting a touch back on the opening kickoff of our first game
|Kicking a Field Goal in High School|
7. The 2 biggest differences between high school and college football: With just being a kicker, you are incorporated in a lot less of practice. It's your responsibility to get your reps in on your own sometimes because you may only get 3-4 live reps in practice.
8. What did you work on most prior to the start of your college year? The change from kicking from a block to off the ground for field goals.
9. Best advice you received to prepare you for collegiate football: Come ready to compete, because you’re not going to be the big dog anymore, you’re surrounded by all the big dogs.
10. Most memorable moment as a high school athlete. I can’t pick out one play, or even one game. I would easily say that it’s being able to play the sport that you love with your best friends that you have grown up playing with your whole life. Those are memories that I will never forget.
11. 2 Biggest Role Models: High school coach Dave Richardson and my parents.
12. Three songs you need to listen to before each game: Don’t really listen to music before games, but I have lots of other pre-game superstitions that go on throughout the whole week!
13. Do you have a hidden talent, if so, what is it? None that I can think of
|Derek kickoff at Verona HS (WI)|
Professional Kicking Coach and Owner
Special Teams Football Academy
Join our Facebook Fan Page!
Follow us on Twitter.
Follow us on Instagram.
Subscribe to our YouTube Videos.